Reviews of California Grill

View Menus at California Grill Dining Location

Children's Dinner Menu

Cuisines: American, Seafood, Asian
Full Service

Explore the California Grill Dining Location: http://allears.net/dining/location/california-grill

Dinner Menu: http://allears.net/dining/menu/california-grill/dinner

Child's Menu: http://allears.net/dining/menu/california-grill/child-dinner

Reviewed by Cleopatra10 Review Date: 01/11/2014

We have dined many times at the old California Grill and we were looking forward to enjoying the new rehab. Oh dear, what a disappointment. We arrived 15 minutes early for our 7:30 reservation. Wishes was at 8:00. When we checked in the CM at the podium said they were very busy but that's nothing new.

However what we didn't expect was the total pandemonium in the lounge area. Every place in the lounge and at the bar was being used for walk ups eating. Worst of all we were presented with the sight of two adults eating on the floor! We understand that the fireworks are a feature but the management have full control of how many people they allow into the lounge. At no other signature restaurant would the management tolerate this ridiculous situation.

We did give the manager our views and his attitude was couldn't care less. He is obviously focused on squeezing as many dollars from letting as many people into the place as possible. Why have a reservation system at all?

The menu is hugely reduced, the staff appear new and inexperienced, our waitress never even bothered to offer wine suggestions. We didn't bother with deserts, we just didn't feel it was worth it. Sorry California Grill, you've lost your number one spot with me - spend your dollars or 2 table dining credits on Citricos instead - a much better signature experience.

Pros:

Firework view

Cons:

Not a signature dining experience

Reviewed by wdwfan6 Review Date: 12/13/2013

Was excited to go back to the California Grill after the rehab. Change is good, but not in this case. Had a table next to the kitchen, so got to see and hear servers clanging dishes throughout the meal. No view out the window. When the server realized I was solo and not drinking alcohol, the service went out the window. I got extremely slow drive by service (drop a course and run), while the larger tables around me that were drinking received constant checking, smiles and chatting. 30-45 minute waits in between courses. The appetizer was 3 medium sized shrimp for $22. When I asked if they had something a bit more basic for the side dish to the swordfish I ordered (roasted veggies, mashed potatoes, etc), was told they did not have anything. The small piece of seared swordfish was cold, raw and undercooked inside. By the time the server came back, he just grabbed the plate and kept walking. The final straw was when he dropped the dessert menu and made a nasty, sarcastic remark "maybe you will find something here to eat." When I went to leave, the manager asked how the meal was. When I told him my experience, his response was "well I guess you had a bad night." That was all he said, then walked away to glad hand a large group of people. This is the last time I will dine there.

Reviewed by Dopey1wa Review Date: 01/13/2015

This use to be our favorite restaurant and we would always go 2-3 times during our stay. I was anxious to see the new remodel that was done since the last time we were there. Total disappointment! The remodel added a huge amount of tables (so more people can enjoy the experience, more money spent). If you are a couple looking for a romantic setting, forget it. You sit in a long row of "couple tables" that are only a couple of feet apart from each other. Barely enough room to walk between the two tables. The room is very noisy with the amount of people they have added to the room. Menu has changed again and was somewhat disappointed in the selection offered. Waiter we had was gone for long periods of time. My water glass (only drink I had) was empty most of the time. Will probably not go back again.

Pros:

view

Cons:

crowded and noisy, menu, waiter

Reviewed by Wendy55 Review Date: 01/25/2014

We have made CG a must do for over 30 years and it is always a wonderful experience - not on this past trip of January 10th! We invited 3 couples to join us that had never been to CG before but have listened to us boast on how wonderful it is. What a nightmare from start to finish! Seated 35min past reservation time - waiter was most likely busboy who was pulled to help wait tables - very unprofessional in every way. We asked to try both a white and red wine - bottles were brought to our table 1/2 empty, when we asked for unopened bottles to be brought and opened in front of us we were told - No try first, if you like it then I'll bring new bottles! Only 1 wine glass for table of 8 which our waiter poured and left us to go around to empty tables and get glasses for ourselves! 2 of our guests never received their appetizers. Entree's were wonderful that is the only positive. We had 1 guest with a gluten allergy - when she asked the waiter to speak with the Chef she was told - Order the steak - her response I don't eat steak waiters response - I'll have the Chef steam some veggies for you! Very disappointed with the entire evening and our guests will never venture back again - such a nightmare! We asked to speak with the manager - no luck, in fact we complained to the concierge at our hotel and he also tried reaching a manager at CG - no luck! We will not be back which is sad as we have always made this a special dinner spot when in Disney. Artist Point from now on - fantastic dinner/staff there!

Pros:

Cons:

Service -

Reviewed by Joeyvee99 Review Date: 10/09/2013

Have to give a bad review to our favorite Disney restaurant. First off the menu is blah and uninspired. Gone are all the faves. Sushi selections are near non-existent. Had to send the short ribs back due to the huge fat veins running through it. Everything was blah. Highlight were the meatball appys. They were underdone but delicious and I like my meat rare anyway. Some diners may be put off. The server stood there with the water bottle on his neck while he was explaining the menu. Yuck, find another way to cool off. Doubt if I'll give a second chance to this one.

Pros:

decor and ambiance

Cons:

food & menu

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 04/15/2019

Overpriced, average food, no dress code. Despite stating that they have a dress code, there were plenty of diners dressed in shorts and t-shirts. Add screaming kids to the equation and there's no way California Grill is a serious contender to be upscale dining. Won't be back. Can get better meals on 192

Pros:

Excellent server, good views

Cons:

Average food, expensive, over-rated, noisy, no dress code

Reviewed by BWK0701 Review Date: 06/23/2014

This is very hard to write since California Grill is one of my all time favorite restaurants. At first we were seated in front of the new kitchen which is extremely loud could not hear our own conversation, after requesting another table we were moved to an excellent location, waitress was nice. Food was not prepared correctly after pointing this out service and food quality went horribly wrong. After almost 2 hours of a very bad experience my party of three finally got out without desert or viewing fireworks. When concerns were brought to management they were basically ignored.

Pros:

View

Cons:

Food and service

Reviewed by peters Review Date: 01/20/2013

I can't believe I'm giving the CG a poor review, but after at least a dozen wonderful visits there, this was our worst dining experience during our January 2013 trip.

Host staff was pleasant and helpful, but it went down big time once we were seated. Our server visited our table exactly 4 times during the meal... to take the drink order (which was wrong), to take the food order (steaks overdone, no silverware to eat it with), deliver the bill & to collect the payment. I think she literally forgot about us since it appeared her "main" section was a few tables over from us. It didn't help that a guest at the next table obviously worked at the Contemporary as I would say 60% of the staff stopped by to say hi and check on his meal.

Since this is the first time in a dozen + visits that we've had anything less than exemplary service, this was VERY unusual. We had much better service at the AKL Mara quick service.

Pros:

The view

Cons:

(This visit) food preparation & terrible service

Reviewed by mhw Review Date: 08/22/2015

My family has visited WDW for the past nine years and Cali Grill has always been a favorite place to go for a nice evening out. However, the past couple of years, the menu selection and quality of the food has declined drastically. In fact, when my family and I rated our favorite meals during this past stay, Cali Grill did not even make the top five. The only saving grace was the location of the restaurant, fireworks and the excellent customer service. Note to Chefs, check out The Boathouse because the food quality and selection is what Cali Grill used to be.

Pros:

Beautiful setting.

Cons:

The selection and quality of the food has declined

Reviewed by bosslady79 Review Date: 01/07/2014

Timed our meal for the fireworks on 11-12-13. Arrived 20 minutes before reservation. Server was spotty, it was my dd 10 and myself. Dined here last year it was amazing, this time was terrible. My dinner companion fell asleep at the table, did not eat dinner or dessert. They did not have packaging to take desert to go, very disappointing. We may have been ok if it had not taken 25 min for our server to take our order, and another 50 min for the food to arrive. I know it is signature dining, but a split app, two entrees and 1 dessert should not take 2 hours. May only go back for dessert during the fireworks, and not order an entree.

Pros:

Fireworks

Cons:

everything else

Other topics in Contemporary